Tuesday 19 January 2010

Long essay on Kepler and astrology plus translating the gospel of Luke

John Milton only wants one essay for our History of Science course so today I have rattled off about 5,000 words on Kepler and Astrology. This covered much of my reading of the last few months and is deep background for my possible PhD project. My essay covers the history of the re-discovery of astrology in the twelfth century, some opponents of astrology. such as Pico della Mirandola, and a moderately detailed look at the half dozen works by Kepler that have a strong astrological feel. If I am accepted for the PhD, I plan to use a version of this work as my "first year progress" essay!

My Latin course, due to start again last week, was delayed by the snow. I haven't done much Latin over the Christmas break but have really got back into it the last few days. I am mainly working on the "extra" homework that Alison gave us - a long Latin text based on the Gospel of Luke. I'm not sure if this is the actual text or whether Alison amended it for our level. But it does give a good idea of the work involved in translating a piece where the vocabulary is largely new. I have rattled off the six sides of text producing nearly 30 pages of translation, but this has highlighted the sort of record keeping involved in doing a major translation project - something that I am pondering on a lot at the moment.

No comments: