Thursday 14 January 2010

Awaiting PhD decision - back to work on Kepler

Much of my thoughts are about the forthcoming decision related to my PhD application at Oxford. I am not entirely sure when this will be made but it is pretty soon - anytime in the next week or two. If accepted, I plan to focus most of this year's study on things to do with the PhD and rather let the MSc take care of itself. If not accepted, I have to look elsewhere at places like the Warburg Institute in London, or UCL. Or I could abandon the PhD plan entirely (or delay a year and re-apply to Oxford a year later).

I am back working on Kepler - mainly material to do with his views on astrology. I have been preparing a sort of career summary of his various works with a strong astrological component and have been tracing some of the key ideas contained in these back into the past. For instance, De stella nova contains a couple of chapters that are strongly opposed to Epicurean atomism, in part due to the perceived atheism of this. I know this view is also strongly held by Melanchthon but has it always been the case that atomism was considered atheistic? This, itself, is an interesting historical question.

No comments: