Monday 4 January 2010

"In our time"

Sorting through some old History magazines the other night, I came across a feature on the "In our time" radio show. I have downloaded and listened to a few of these in the last year but was surprised to discover than about 200 episodes were available, including many that are relevant for my studies e.g. Rudolf II, renaissance magic, the translation movement in Baghdad, and so on. I now have loads of these to listen to - next task is to find a way to load them onto my i-pod so I can listen to them in the car or on my travels to london

One episode featured the Oxford History of Science person who I would pick to be my supervisor if I could - I have barely thought about questions like supervision. Should I have put some effort into this question when I did my application?

This reading of History magazines also brought up a new "expensive" book to ponder on buying - Peter Wilson's Europe in Turmoil - a mammoth book on the Thirty Year War. Just over £20. I am relectuant to buy it as it is nearly 1,000 pages long and it might be hard to get much out of, yet earlier today I happily filled up L's car with petrol for £45. A year from now, I might desperately want this book.

No comments: