Saturday 30 January 2010

PhD - no decision yet

Much of the last few weeks has been spent wondering about the outcome of my PhD application. At times I feel quite bullish - my proposal seems a good one, I have good referees, a good academic background and I am self-financing. At other times I feel quite the opposite, unable to shake the issue of my age, or the current difficulties in University funding.

There were broadly three outcomes at this stage. I could be accepted, rejected or rolled forward and considered later. Today the decision arrived. It is the third - I am being rolled forward.

I am not really very clear what that means. It could be that no one has had the time to actually look at my application, so the news is o.k. Or it could be that it was looked at but no decision was made. That also seems o.k. to me as it seems relatively easy to reject an application. So maybe I shouldn't feel dispondent at this stage.

And at least the thin letter wasn't the rejection that I had feared such a letter would be. If only there was someway I could influence the matter.

No comments: