Tuesday 19 January 2010

Philip Glass - the organ version of Satyagraha

Watching an episode of the BBC series "Renaissance" I was struck at one point by the slight hint in the background that I recognized the organ piece being played. A pause in the commentary and a slight uplift in the volume of the music revealed that it was version of Part III of Act III of Philip Glass's "Satyagraha". I had never heard this version before, but was much impressed.

A quick search of the internet and I discovered a CD called "Glass Organ Works" of which it is the last track. The wonders of the age . . . a short time later I am listening to it as I work.

Back in the 1980s, at the height of my music buying, an unusual track heard somewhere would send me racing off round London to the fifteen or so shops that I frequented, tracking down the recording as if my life depended on it. The excitement of the chase, the thrill of the chase, and so on. Today the amount of music I have access to is quite incredible. The urge to investigate Norwegian folk music or whatever, can be covered off in a few minutes (e.g. via the excellent http://www.emusic.com/). But do I also lose from this? Certainly the raw excitement that went with the purchase of a much-desired record doesn't happen any more. But that so much amazing stuff is available at all is clearly better.

Years ago, on the John Peel show (where else?) I heard (and recording to tape) an amazing piece by an African artist. I was unable to spell his name correctly from the recording I had and so was never able to find it. I even wrote to Peel asking about it, but if he did reply on air, I didn't hear it. Then twenty years later I heard the track on an episode of Michael Palin's "Sahara". He even met the performer, Toumani Diabate, who, of course, is now quite well-known. And a quick bit of internet searching turned up lots of music by him.

Now very few new releases instantly attract my attention. But one did today - the new Joanna Newsom cd is out in February. That is a dead cert for a purchase - can't think of anyone else who would be though.
Joanna seems very happy!

No comments: