Friday 1 January 2010

First post of 2010 - goals for the year

I guess it is traditional to spend some time over Christmas on reflecting on possible goals for the new year. For me, thoughts are rather dominated by the wait for the decision on whether Oxford University are going to accept me as a PhD student. This is what I think about at virtually every "quiet moment".

If this is successful, I will start to wind down my MSc work and focus instead on preparation for the PhD. I have been thinking about various bits of background reading that I would want to do, and continue to work on an increasingly vast bibliography of possibly relevant articles and books. Over Christmas I have had a bit of splurge on book buying and have yet another mountian of new stuff to skim through and work into my wider plans.

On other matters, my main priority relates to various Emma things. She is 21 this year and we are planning a trip to New York for her main present from us. Then she finishes at Cambridge this summer, has many plans for travel over the summer and then starts work (somewhere) in the autumn. She has a job offer that she will be accepting soon, though she still has one other job she is pursuing. If, this time next year, Emma is settled in to work and is happy with everything, then that would be a big plus.

Linda and I have a very exciting trip to Italy planned for the summer when we will drive around the country from Pisa down to Sicily, like we did in France last autumn. And we might do another French trip late in the year. Various day-to-day arrangements remain problematic, but maybe some progress had been made.

Finally, there are the usual things - to eat better, lose some weight, exercise more. But these never seem like high priorities day to day.

No comments: