Sunday 31 January 2010

More thoughts on PhDs

It was a really cold night and a heavy frost. I spent much of yesterday painting the kitchen floor but forgot to put the heating on constant and so the house is really cold this morning. I have also volunteered to deliver a batch of the village newsletter to the houses on our road and decide to go early(so as to minimise the chances of meeting anyone as I push things through their letter boxes). Then a walk across to the next village to collect the papers.

Still deep in thought about the PhD letter from Oxford. The main problem with still not knowing is that I had some plans for what I was going to do if the news was positive. I would slacken off the pace of work on my MSc and do a few other things over the spring and summer. More exercise, more DIY, various other projects. And the work I would do would switch focus onto more Latin and some of the deeper background reading that I had wanted to do for the PhD. But I hadn't really anticipated that the news would be a deferral. That rather scuppers my planning in some respects. Now I won't hear for another couple of months and therefore I am unsure how best to spend the intervening period.

Maybe I should still do what I had planned, but then if the news is bad from Oxford I will perhaps have wasted the time a bit - especially versus the MSc. But if I focus on the MSc (as it is all I have), I will waste some of this period if the verdict is positive from Oxford.

So lots to think about. Today I do some Latin for a couple of hours, read some of The Man who loved Books too much and a biography of Karl Jaspers. So no MSc work and no PhD work either!

No comments: