Saturday 23 January 2010

Friday's superb Latin Class

We are all back for our new term. I walked in with Michelle O'Callaghan, who is a "Reader" in the department of English and American Literature at Reading University. At our last class before the Christmas break we had been talking about PhDs and she was telling me this morning that her PhD student from America has had a lot of trouble renewing his student visa. I was telling her about how nerve-racking it is to have not heard yet from Oxford. And today's Times Higher Education magazine has more poor news - apparently Oxford, Cambridge and some other universities have been restricting PhD places to European students while expanding places for overseas students (who pay higher fees). Another reason to worry about my own application.

Some good news to start with - Alison is keen to do a further half term with us after Easter to keep us going before Latin 2 starts in September. I am very keen on this, as are several of the other students.

Then we start with a different thing from past weeks as Alison takes us through an "unseen" translation with the aim of helping us see how to approach translation. This is fantastic for me and I scribble down an immense amount of notes on this and have started writing them up. All sorts of really good practical clues came out from this - I was really pleased. But the rest of the class was pretty tough going!

The translation we had been set from the Gospel according to Luke is apparently the actual text of the King James Latin Bible, so I need to acquire this text in English to check my answer.

No comments: