Friday 6 November 2009

Two days at LSE - first time for a while

A trip to LSE for two day for the first time in ages. I have done none of the work for Philosophy of Economics and today's seminar is therefore rather silly as I have no idea about any of the points being discussed. Apparently we are supposed to write an essay due in the next couple of weeks but I suspect I won't manage this.

I stayed the night at the same hotel in Queensway as I did last time, but had a far worst room that before - presumably why it was only £30. Worked most of the afternoon on Latin - I am well behind on that too! Tired and headachy by about 7:30, I actually fell asleep then and woke up about 2:00 in the morning. Perhaps an overhang from all the driving last week?

History of Science with John is about Humanism and the Renaissance - another of my main interests. He covers stuff I pretty much know already. Afterwards we have a brief chat about the PhD process. He seems happy that he will have time to do it at the end of this week. I will feel a lot better when the references are done.

Stayed at the LSE library for some of the afternoon and then went straight to Oxford for my biography course. There is a fireworks display in Oxford tonight and parking is really difficult. I only just make it there by 7:30 and have no time for any food on the way. I haven't done any work for this course for a couple of weeks either. Most people hand in something every week, but not me. But despite this, the course continues to throw up interesting stuff. Tonight we are studying various biographies of Silvia Plath - one episode in particular. It is interesting how the different approaches compare. Long ago, I read Plath's The Bell Jar. From what I remember, I quite enjoyed it, but after tonight, I think it doubtful I will read anything about her again. All that whining!

No comments: