Sunday 15 November 2009

First day of hard work for a while

The last few weeks have not been great working weeks. Two weeks lost through illness, one week when we were in France, one week doing my PhD application. So I have high hopes that the next couple of weeks will be largely work. I have a rough idea of what I want to try and achieve - as usual, the list is rather daunting.

First project concerns making a few steps into a project for the History of Science course. John just wants a single long essay to be handed in the start of next term. I am considering doing something on Kepler and astrology. So today's first work has been some detailed note taking on Sheila Rabin's article "Kepler's attitude towards Pico and the Anti-Astrology polemic" from the journal Renaissance Quarterly, 1997. This is a very interesting article and contains a whole wealth of suggestive stuff.

After three or four hours on this, I was looking up something about Sheila Rabin to see what other articles she might have written. In doing so, I stumbled across a note on her departmental website that in August she had published a piece in Studia Copernicana 42, which is based on a 2008 conference on Kepler. Of course I really want this but can't seem to find out much about it. I had thought it might be an online journal, but it doesn't seem to be on the Bodleian site. Also a reference to Rabin's PhD thesis; "Two Renaissance views of Astrology: Pico and Kepler", which I would also very much like to read. So I may email her at her college to find out about both of these.

By mid-afternoon I am slowing down but rally later and manage a couple of hours reading of J.V. Field's article "A Lutheran Astrologer: Johannes Kepler" from 1984. More good stuff. Not clear how a paper for John might be developed out of all of this yet though.

A good day's work - fingers crossed that the next couple of weeks continue as productively

No comments: