Sunday 22 November 2009

Reviews of Glass's Kepler - Kenny's Life in Oxford

One or two reviews of Philip Glass's opera Kepler have begun to appear on the internet. Some Glass fans on a Glass forum were very enthusiatic (as one might expect). Most newspaper reviews have been broadly favourable without raving about it. The US staging was a concert performance rather than the full-blown opera that is in Linz, but it did have the same cast and orchestra so I suppose that musically it was very similar. But I'm sure the full version will be better. It is a long time since I last saw a Glass opera. The last one was Akhnaten at ENO in the mid-1980s, though I have listened to a live performance on the radio of another one since then - The Making of the Representative of Planet 8, from the early 1990s. And I also saw Satyagraha in the very early 1980s. There are rumours that this last one might be on again next year at the ENO, but I haven't had a detailed look into this yet.

I have no regrets about not seeing the US staging in the end, even though at that time I wasn't aware that the Linz production was still available. But the actual outcome (hopefully) of seeing it in Linz is definitely the best I could have. I'm very excited about this plan.

Current reading has been focused on Anthony Kenny's A Life in Oxford, part of my tentative plan to immerse myself in something of the history of Oxford University prior to, hopefully, studying there. Kenny does seem to have had a very good life there following his departure from the Catholic Church in the early 1960s. I may try and find his book about that period of his life, A Path from Rome

No comments: