Thursday 12 November 2009

One day in London - all referees have finished

Much to my surprise I felt much better this morning. Headache gone, nose unblocked, just a bit of a cough left. So a trip to London seemed an ok prospect.

On the way up on the coach I was behind a businessman on his way to London for a meeting. He was involved in finance in some way and kept getting phone calls pretty much througout the journey. He was mainly talking about various budget matters. It all sounded very sad - what a waste of time! At least when I commuted to London on the coach, we didn't have mobile phones - that would have been awful.

Quick trip to the library to drop off some books, no time for any food, then off to King's for John's weekly lecture. This weeks topic was the renaissance and humanism and, as usual, John makes a pretty good presentation. This topic is the one I most wanted to see this term, so I was pleased I was able to go. It built on the reading I had done last year, especially Schmitt and Copenhaver's rather excellent Renaissance Philosophy

Afterwards I mentioned to John that I might not be able to go next week as I might be in New York for the Kepler opera. We then had a chat for 20 mins or so about my Oxford application and what the current state of H of S at Oxford was. He had been to Balliol and St Johns, a true Oxford man.

But about the opera - actually I feel that I am pretty unlikely to go. I haven't managed much work over the last few weeks and feel I really ought to focus on this. Also we are planning to go in March for Emma's 21st birthday, so most of the other things I could have done this weekend, I could do then. I must decide by, say, Sunday

More good news at home - my final referee has completed his reference and so my application is complete for the November 20th deadline. Fingers crossed for the next couple of months.

No biography class tonight as Nigel is ill with flu - probably what I have had. By 8:00 or so I was rather flagging but things are a lot better than the last few days have been.

No comments: