Monday 9 November 2009

A day catching up with Latin

Strangely, I didn't feel very well again first thing this morning - a really bad sore throat and headache. This clears slowly as I worked, but by the afternoon the headache is quite fierce and I am reduced to some light reading.

Main work today was three or four hours of Latin, seeking to catch up on what I've missed over the last few weeks. I take quite a few pages of notes on grammar, translate 60 lines from Plautus' Aulularia, and note how I have so much that needs rote learning - vocab, verb conjugations, noun declensions, etc.

On the plus side, this work gives me some indication of what it would be like to self-study this Latin course. My original pan had been to do Latin 1 this year (finishing next March) and then start Latin 2 next September and so on. But now I am pondering on whether I could self-teach myself Latin 2 following straight on from finishing this course and then start Latin 3 this time next year. I have also discovered that Oxford University, as one might expect, does various Latin courses for graduate students. So, in theory at least, I could be quite knowledgeable about Latin by, say Easter 2011, in 18 months or so time.

And certainly dipping into some of the Latin texts I have, e.g. Kepler's, I am already not so fearful of them as perhaps I once was.

Another plus today - the bookseller in Germany from whom I bought some of the Kepler Collected Works also have Vol 1-5 of Tycho Brahe's Opera Omnia for sale, which Linda has bought me for Christmas. I suspect these might be a "print to order" reprint, but nothing bad about that. With Google's activities, this might become quite usual in the near future.

No comments: