Tuesday 3 November 2009

More PhD prep & some great new books

Work continues on my PhD proposal. I have now done a couple of drafts and am reasonably happy with it at the moment. I am now planning to leave it a day or so and then come back to it on Friday and see what I think then. If I carry on working on it now, I suspect I may get to a stage when I can't see the wood for the trees.

Some new books have arrived. Mainly four volumes on Galileo by Stillman Drake - the excellent Galileo at Work intellectual biography together with the three volumes of his Essays on Galileo and the History and Philosophy of Science. Also arrived is Tester's A History of Western Astrology and a book on the practicalities of working as a translator. I need all the help I can get on this theme I suspect.

Finally, I have spotted that the bookseller in Worms, Germany, from whom I got the Kepler volumes also has some volume (perhaps all) from Tycho Brahe's Collected Works. I am pondering on seeing if Linda will get me volumes 1-5 for Christmas. I had a look at these last time I was in the Bodleian and they look very nice.

No comments: