Saturday 14 November 2009

New Music

It's been a while since I've done a blog entry on my current listening. Indeed until quite recently I have been listening to the same stuff over and over. But a couple of weeks back I sorted out loads of new stuff to listen to - and a bit of a break from the last couple of months

First up, the return to Boris to my regular listening. Back in the spring they were all I was listening to. I still have half a dozen recordings of them that I hadn't listened to yet and was saving up. But initial re-listening has been based on the "Pink" cd, especially the track "Sweet No 1" They remain my current epitome of all that is cool in music.




Next there has been something of a psychedelic revival led, in the first place, by some recent recordings I came across of Ozric Tentacles who are back playing live shows again after a break of some while.

Ozric Tentacles at the Wakawusa Festival, 2009
.
Next up, PJ Harvey, whose "White Chalk" cd was one of last year's favourites and who's recent collaboration with John Parish has been a recent favourite

My favourite PJ Harvey photo - Reading years ago (1994?)
.
Then early Cat Power. I was not entirely convinced by The Greatest cd by any means and haven't enjoyed what I've heard of her recordings with the Memphis Rhythm band. But this is tempered by the fact that she does seem to have got her act together somewhat over the last few years. When I saw her a few years back, she was at the peak of her flaky live sets and it was all rather strange. For me, What would the Community Think? remains her high point. I have recently heard some early live stuff by her. A show with Steve Shelly from 1996 and a video of her with Loren Mazzacane Connors from 1997. Now that is really excellent stuff

Then more psychedelia care of the Acid Mothers Temple who I return to once a year or so. I can't believe I have 30 cds of theirs!


Finally, Lydia Lunch has been playing some live shows with a band again - billed as "Big Sexy Noise". Back in the 1980s I considered her to be the coolest performer ever. I've kind of lost track of what she has been doing lately (for about the last 10 years in fact). But I really enjoyed the live recording I heard of her recently. Good to see she is still producing great stuff
.


No comments: