Monday 2 February 2009

Snow falls - the LSE is closed!

Much of the country has been hit with heavy snow overnight. So much so that the LSE is closed today. We have been relatively lightly hit here - but London has apparently had loads and has come to a halt.

I spent quite a lot of the day researching Corporate Bond funds. We are planning to make some investments in these over the next few weeks. I am looking for ones with about 5 years average duration, an average rating of A- or BBB+, a yield of about 8% and a greater than -10% fall in 2008. So far I have a few candidates. I am intending to start buying some blocks next week when I have had a further think about it all. I would be hoping, on a two or three year view, to perhaps produce an average 10% per annum return. It is very likely that base rates will fall to 1% this week, and our investment returns are dwindling along with this. I feel deeply agrieved that savers such as Linda and myself are being hit to help borrowers.

But the corporate bond fund plan is definitely better than my other plan of buying another house in Oxford - This has too much remaining downside and upfront cost compared to the bond plan. Will hopefully have a selection of, say, six funds very soon.

No comments: