Friday 20 February 2009

Thursday at LSE

A quick trip down to London today and I get to LSE just after the library opens at 8:00. Spent two hours working on a critique of Shapin's The Scientific Revolution. Once again I have found that I am more creative when working in the LSE library than at home - I seem to have many more ideas about what I am reading. So I leave the library just after 10:00 loaded down with ideas

John Milton was lecturing on Galileo today - I have stopped thinking of this as a seminar as there is little interaction. Another very thoughtful talk, but not really adding much to what I already know from having read The Cambridge Companion to Galileo while in Italy last year.

Lunch with Caroline and Victor for the third week running.

There is a really odd fellow sitting next to me on the coach home tonight. He asks me a couple of questions about when the coach will arrive in Oxford and then asks me if I am a professor at the University (as I am reading a pretty serious book). We get talking and it turns out he is one of those fringe physics people who is convinced of the healing properties of the Higgs Boson and of consuming huge amounts of vitamin D. A total crackpot who I am stuck talking to for 25 minutes, when I could have been reading or listening to Boris on the ipod!

No comments: