Sunday 15 February 2009

Robert Darnton article

There was a long article in today's Guardian called Google and the Future of Books - a New York Review of Books article written by Robert Darnton, the author of The Great Cat Massacre. It was on the theme of the digitization of books, not a topic I had thought about much (I am a committed book buyer, and I don't like reading articles on screen either - I still print out the ones I want)

Some interesting points that did gel with some thoughts I had had while on my course. For instance, the idea of Universities as networks connecting to teaching resources online, rather that direct places of teaching. This is an old idea of Morris Zapp, fictional professor from David Lodge's Small World. The LSE library is a good example of this. Books are not the mian thing - it is the access to online resources that really matters

No comments: