Wednesday 18 February 2009

Computer virus, idea dump for dissertation

My main PC has acquired a virus again - the third time this has happened in the last couple of years. Today's is a fake anti-virus programme whose main visible symptom is a repeated pattern of messages saying my PC is infected - literally one a minute or so. The aim is to make you log onto a website and buy an anti-virus program. But the messages are poorly punctuated and, though very realistic looking, they can be recognised as fake.

Three hours work with "Spyhunter" and another anti-virus programme and it seems to have cleared. No doubt this is the inevitable consequence of downloading various things off the internet. But one good effect was that I have backed up everything off this PC. Linda has a friend who works as a PC virus de-bugger so we do have someone I can get to have a look at it at some point.

My main work today is to write pages of ideas for my dissertation - a sort of stream of consciousness plan in which I write down everything that comes into my head for several hours. I end up with 3000 words covering 12 pages. The earliest ideas are about postmodernism being the latest in the enlightenment-romanticism battle since the Scientific Revolution and linked to the internalist / externalist debate in history of science. I suspect that few people at LSE take this area very seriously so I should be able to write a dissertation that looks quite different from most others.

Slowly working though my huge collection of Boris music, I have come across their CD Dronevil from 2003 and a quite amazing track called The Evilone which sobs - a quite blistering 15 minutes of noise with a guitar solo over the top. That the guitarist is a woman adds to the unusualness of this it seems to me. Strangely compelling. Wonder what the title means?

No comments: