Sunday 22 February 2009

Work on the allotment

A brief visit to the allotment to assess the huge amount of work that is necessary to get much done this year. I was fortunate to see quite a few people there that I had hoped to pick up with. Most importantly was Julie and Tim. This allowed me to sort out the arrangements for sharing the polytunnel this year in return for use of their rotovator. I do need to brush cut the allotment first (and am planning to buy a brush cutter in the next week or so) but then Tim assures me that rotovating should be a breeze and I should have it all done in a few hours - that remains to be seen.

Also saw Tony, the allotment organiser, to make sure he knew that I would definitely be using my bit this year after last year's absence. He is planning to get someone else onto the right hand side of my allotment - that has turned out to be far too much of a challenge for me to do. Apparently there is now a waiting list and I might have lost my plot if I hadn't made clear my plans.

Finally I saw Chris, one of my immediate neighbours, for a quick chat. Her plot is looking very good. My other neighbours are still very active it seems as well, so should catch up with them soon.

So a quick trip to Millets and the purchase of some compost for the front-garden raised beds, along with the first few things to plant - onions, garlic, some lettuce. I am quite looking forward to the year. Sadly Linda seems to have changed her mind about helping me with it - a shame as she had been so keen last year.

No comments: