Monday 16 February 2009

Dissertation - ideas forming

I am now in a position to start to list detailed points for my dissertation. With the exception of a little bit of history of science work, my MSc work is basically only on the dissertation at the moment. So I actually haven't done anything for Philosophy of Science this year yet.

Today's notes were on the Enlightenment / romanticism distinction and its corresponding appearance in Modernism / Postmodernism. Note sure I want to do too much on this theme - but it might be worth a paragraph of two. My main current idea is to keep widening into more areas that I have read, while at the same time making it punchier and more focused. In many cases, just one sentence arises from pages of reading

I am also pondering on starting the dissertation with Jardine's Kepler thesis - on the birth of philosophy and history of Science - also Kepler's view on causation as being the source of the romantic counter- attack (an idea from Holton)

No comments: