Monday 26 January 2015

Edgar Froese - RIP

Sad news over the weekend with the death of Edgar Froese of Tangerine Dream.  I first heard Tangerine Dream on John Peel when he played a long excerpt from Rubyon Part 1.  What a stupendously great track that is.  The first TD album I bought was Force Majeure, with the beautiful Cloudburst Flight on it.  Since the early 1980s, I have probably heard most of their albums, except some very recent ones.

A real highlight a few years ago were the Bootleg Box series, partially-fan-created live sets which focused heavily on the improvisational, sequencer led shows from the late 1970s.  This morning I have been listening to Live at the Palace Des Arts, Montreal, from one of these boxsets.  The 19 minute "first movement" has been one of my favourite tracks of the last few years.



I saw TD in concert a couple of times in the 1980s and then once again a few years ago at the Shepherds Bush Empire - a show I wasn't that struck on at the time.  There is an internet-based TD project called "Tangerine Trees" which I have also heard a lot of stuff off.  I shall be trying to find some of these recordings later on.


No comments: