Monday 19 January 2015

A splurge of movie watching

We rarely have runs when we see lots of current movies, but we have managed to see three in the last few days.

First up, American Sniper, which we quite enjoyed although felt it spent too long in Iraq and not enough time on what happened when he got back. Sienna Miller was very good we thought, though under used.  I hadn't realised it was a true story - though it was also interesting that Bradley Cooper's portrayal is apparently a much more likeable character than the real person.


Next, The Imitation Game.  I read Andrew Hodge's biography of Alan Turing when it first came out years ago, so this was a very familiar story.  Given that this film also has best film and best male actor Oscar nominations, I have to say that I did enjoy it more than American Sniper.  I have also read a number of Turing's own papers from when I was at university - that seems a very long time ago though


But without doubt, I actually most liked film number three, Wild.  One of my all time favourite books is Cindy Ross's Journey on the Crest, her account of her trip on the Pacific Crest Trail.  So I had all sorts of reasons for looking forward to this one, and was not disappointed.  And I am now desperate to read Cindy Ross's book again - for what will be perhaps the fourth or even fifth time.


No comments: