Friday 14 November 2008

Thoughts on buying books, CMR article edits, Emma in London

I am thinking lots about the Agassi book that costs £75. It is an update of his book on the Historiography of Science that he published in the early 1960s. I am still regularly selling books - this week I have sold two for about £25 each. But I have never paid more than £40 for a book ever (this was a Spinoza book bought 15 years ago). There are also lots of other study books I could buy that cost £20-30 and I'm not keen on paying that much for them either. I suppose I could buy them, copy the bits I need and re-sell. But the markets for such books are very illiquid. Perhaps this is a way to get over my reluctance.

I have been skimming through the Gatti book on Bruno - this has a number of very exciting themes which I think I could use in my dissertation- and it only cost £14. I did discover that the Bodliean has the 1964 version of Agassi's. I also might be able to see if other libraries in London have the new version of Agassi which they could get to me at LSE

Spent another hour or two editing my Clare Market Review article. This has had a fairly fierce edit by someone on the CMR team - more than expected. Also they used an early version for this edit, not the current one. I always react badly to being editing. But I was happy with the main change they had made and only put back in some of the other stuff they had removed. Deadline is Friday, so hopefully they won't have other editorial points and it will be out before X'mas

Emma rang to discuss plans for trips to London over next few weeks - Weds, Tues, Tues over the next three weeks. I have to work these around my LSE times in some way. Hopefully one of these visits will result in Emma being offered an internship job for next summer. With the economic situation so bad, getting something she is happy with is even more important than it would usually have been.

No comments: