Monday 24 November 2008

More positive about conference plan and dissertation

After a day or so reflecting on the conference pitch plan, I am feeling a little more positive. In addition to Miklos's comments, I have also been able to find a website for the previous conference on the same theme from October 2007. This includes the 1000 word extracts for the papers that were accepted to this conference so now I have something better to work from - ideas on the sort of rhetorical style used for such things. A new draft of my proposal - a complete re-write really of the previous one. Not much time left though - and Miklos is away so no more feedback available.

I am thinking that I might do this topic for my dissertation. One new thing I am trying to include is something on Christoph Clavius. My plan is therefore to contrast Bruno, Clavius and Brahe, rather than just Bruno and Brahe. I have a few articles on Clavius, but not much. He figures in many histories, but there seems to be little about his defence of Ptolemaic astronomy. Can I find something before the weekend to pad out my conference pitch?

The most common picture of Clavius

No comments: