Sunday 23 November 2008

Finocchiaro contact, journal articles, Einstein and Eddington

After a short search on the internet, I sent an email to Maurice Finocchiaro with a question about why his History of Science as Explanation does not mention Lakatos. Much to my surprise, he replied overnight, saying that it was mainly an issue of timing for the completion of his manuscript but also that he had published an extended review article on Lakatos in 1973 as well.

I would have liked to get this article straight way but had run out of ink. But then the thought hits me - why not just save articles to disc and print when I need them? What a great idea, if I can organise my PC filing system adequately. And what a shame I thought of it only after printing about 3,000 pages of articles and having ordered 8 new b/w cartridges for what I expected to print going forward! I am so poor at thinking these sorts of things through in a sensible manner.

So today I worked through the back issues of Studies in History and Philosophy of Science on this new basis and it could work ok, but I do need to think about how to organise them. They are not titled in any useful way, which is also a pain

There was a programme called Einstein and Eddington on BBC 2 over the weekend. A drama staring the current actor who plays Dr Who. Not the greatest show ever, but it did have one or two interesting things in it.
The BBC version

The real Einstein and Eddington

No comments: