Friday 21 November 2008

Successful essay writing - unsuccessful conference paper

Mainly working on two things at the moment - an extended essay for P of S on the famous Lakatos quote and the HoPoS conference pitch. I am actually very pleased with the former - a real uplift in the standard of my writing I think. Good use of sources and quotes - well reasoned. In my view, one of my best essays ever.

But the HoPoS conference porposal is not so good. It is due with them by Nov 30th. So far my thesis is not clear at all. I am beginning to feel somewhat out of my depth on this. At the very least, I am trying to get something together that I could send to Miklos for comments - but I definitely don't feel very confident at all. However, the remote possibility of doing something useful academically rests on getting accepted for such things. The slenderest thread of hope . . . . to make it sound very heroic.

The problem of course is how to say something original - within the context of such a vast amount of material - e.g. the 2,000 pages of articles printed off today. These are on all sorts of subjects - How am I ever going to use these?

No comments: