Sunday 16 November 2008

Some of my best work so far

A relatively quiet Saturday. Into Oxford for breakfast at the newly-refurbished French cafe, then for a long walk down to the Cherwell through University park. Most of the rest of the day spent quietly. But late on Saturday night after Linda had decided on an early night, I settled down for a few hours work and made a good start on a few things that would then develop well throughout Sunday - so lots of history reading, and working on my dissertation bibliography and the papers I had downloaded from the BJPS over the last few days.

First thing Sunday and more work on the "history of history" and articles from the BJPS. I have started taking a few notes and making the very high level summary comments. Today this included article by Grunbaum, Porter, and Williams. The bibliography is coming along very well and should form a really good basis for my later writing. And I have run out of ink so printing is currently suspended - after doing close to 2000 pages

I have now starting on my next Philosophy of Science essay (on my main theme of the relation between philosophy and history of science). And also rising slowly into a bit more prominence is the plan for the conference proposal I need to submit before the end of November. Earlier today, Linda mentioned that the "ideal" would be if I could do a PhD and then get an academic job. I consider this to have really no probability of coming to pass, but if it does, it will be because of getting accepted on to something like this conference. So I do have to take it seriously

And I am firming up my plan to work on just what I want to and ignore syllabuses for each subject! I do need to ensure that I cover some important themes, but may do this via essay writing rather than doing the course reading. This is a brave move but will be the best move if I do have to curtail my study at some point soon.

Is there any chance that the "perfect" outcome could happen?

No comments: