Monday 17 November 2008

Slight dip after best day's work

Spent the first couple of hours working today on a first draft of my "HoPoS" conference pitch - a bit of a brainstorm, followed then by a tidy up. This is due by Dec 1st, so I do have plenty of time to finalise it. I don't really know what such a document should look like, but did find some 1,000 word summaries from the previous conference - so am using one of these as my template. Don't really know what I am doing in this area though and too late to get help from, say, Miklos.

Suffered a bit of a dip after yesterday, when I worked for about 15 hours. It is a grey and gloomy day - perhaps I should have a go with Linda's SAD light?

Another Hedge fund Soc presentation to draft, this one on technical versus fundamental approaches to trading. This involved reviewing some old RA documents which was pretty strange. I am working on the assumption that most of my audience is really only interesting in the theme of making money. So I planning to spend most of the lecture discussing technical trading systems. I have found a few good websites that hopefully I will be able to access from the LSE system and can use for this part.

Spent some of the afternoon reading James Broderick's book on Robert Bellarmine. He is a Jesuit and it would be far to say that his treatment of the issues that interest me about Bellarmine are not handled in the most unbiased manner that I have ever read. Bruno is dismissed in one footnote that mainly dismisses the view that he was burned as a heretic for anything to do with Copernicanism. The chapter on Galileo is quite extraordinary!

No comments: