Tuesday 29 July 2008

Re-joining the Bodleian

Living close to Oxford, I have, in the past, had a readers ticket to the Bodleian library in the city centre. I had a ticket for 6 years ending in 2005, though it is fair to say that I didn't use the library a lot in that period. On a whim today, but clearly part of my planning for working on my MSc, I rejoined and bought a one year ticket, which works during both term time and vacations.

Soon after, while reading the guidebook to the library, I came across a mention of the Radcliffe Science Library. I have been passed this a couple of times on my way to the Pitt Rivers museum, but hadn't had a look round it alone before. One of the library staff explained the layout of the library and showed me how to work the online resources. Then I had a wander downstairs to the floor that contained history of science, astronomy and physics, etc.

This is a real find - many of the books that I could use on my MSc were on the shelves in the main area (rather than elsewhere on the stakes) and they also had complete sets of various periodicals dealing with history of science. So this could be a fantastic place to work. The library is even open on a Saturday and Sunday. I was really excited about this and am really looking forward to starting work there at some point.

No comments: