Sunday 20 July 2008

Some major news

A package arrived in the post this morning to say that I have been accepted onto the Msc course I had applied for and will be starting this October. This is really great news and will be the focus of my intellectual efforts over the next couple of years.

I will be studying "Philosophy and History of Science" at the London School of Economics as a part time student. It is over 20 years since I graduated from the LSE and I am very excited about returning there after such a long break.

There are, of course, all sorts of issues that this raises. Will it fit round the work I am planning to do? Will I feel silly being so much older than the other students? Are my intellectual powers in such steep decline that I will really struggle? Can I write a dissertation? Will I feel embarrassed if I meet my daughter's best friend who is an undergraduate at LSE at the moment?

It took about four months for my application to be processed and I have rather forgotten much of the course details. So I have been skimming through the department handbook and am back thinking about which course options I would most like to do and what reading should I try and do over the summer before I start. I have fished out my old copy of Arthur Koestler's "The Sleepwalkers", his account of Copernicus, Kepler and Galileo, and maybe that would be a good one to have a look at first?

Very exciting news!!

No comments: