Tuesday 22 July 2008

More alternatives to rat racing

Of all things, "The Great Outdoors" magazine has a feature on a woman who, three years ago, gave up her journalist job on radio to take up the life of adventure! Renting out her house, she now travels the world climbing mountains. As an attempt to diversify her finances, she has written a book called "Meetings on the Edge - a high-level escape from Office routine". An essential purchase I would say. Over the past week or so I have been examining various brochures from treking companies and am very taken with Mackean's story

I am, at this moment, at rather a crossroads. There is tremendous pressure on me to take some time and earn what is taken to be decent money and this will inevitably impact badly on other ideas for living. Different philosophies of life are in sharp relief and are, of course, wholly incommensurable.

As part of my continuing de-cluttering, I have come across a box of print outs of Robert Fripp's diary from 2001 to 2005 (http://www.dgmlive.com/). This is the model for what I am trying to do with this blog. Reading six months worth today, I was struck by the universality of the issues being addressed.

And six more carrier bags of books went to Oxfam in Oxford this morning bringing the total to 16 in the last couple of weeks.

No comments: