Sunday 10 August 2008

A Productive journey

Wednesday July 30th

For various complex reasons, I had a long journey back from near Evesham today by a combination of bus, train and walking. 3 hours plus rather than the one hour that it would have taken by car, and it cost more. But a good chance to listen to some music and read.

Today's reading was mainly Stillman Drake's short introduction to Galileo. His main thesis is that Galileo was really trying to protect the Catholic church by stopping it aligning itself to scientific theories that might turn out to be untrue. I am not convinced. Galileo was much too argumentative to have these more complex goals. He was sure he was correct and has not pro-Catholic agenda it seems to me.

My main listening is PJ Harvey who I have only just put on the ipod. I have a new set of ipod headphones and the impact is enormous. Much of the music sounds really fresh again

No comments: