Tuesday 22 July 2008

Fish, fishing and the meaning of life . . . .

Jeremy Paxman edited an anthology of fishing literature with the above title some years ago. And pretty good it was from what I remember. What always strikes me as odd about my fishing is that I don't go for ages, putting trips off for poor reasons, yet when I do finally go, the reasons why I love fishing so much come flooding back.

This afternoon I visiting Bushyleaze, a local trout lake. The other anglers seemed to be really struggling to after a quick review of what they were doing (mostly stripping buzzers and weighted nymphs) it was off to the far side of the lake (rule one - always walk the furthest distance from the car park to choose a spot to fish) and set up with a red hopper and a small Dwal Bach nymph fished close to the surface. It is rare that things pay off so quickly but within 20 minutes I had a fish of about 3.5lbs on the nymph.

The sun blazed down most of the rest of the afternoon and, sadly, as the sun set, so the wind dropped. So fish started to rise but presentation was very hard in the calm conditions. Fishing two hoppers, I did have a second fish about 8:30pm.

As always, I feel revitalised by a day out fishing. I really should think about having a good go after barbel and chub in September when we are back from our next trip abroad.

No comments: