Tuesday 1 June 2010

In my break from revision . . .

Virtually all my thinking at the moment relates to revision. This time next week I will be taking my last exam. Then I plan a few days "r'n'r" having a spring clean and throw out - then to start work on the trading again. So I currently work around two to three hours and then have a short break, then start again.

In one of today's breaks I was listening to an old recording of John Peel on "Desert Island Discs" from 1990 - I still rather miss him. On another, a recent programme in the series "Thinking allowed" in which the three people involved were talking about Black Music over the last 50 years - a curious programme I thought.

On another break I am reading an article from the last issue of Times Higher Education on various forms of something called "post-postmodernism", a phrase that links rather nicely with ideas of "Next Labour" following "New Labour".

Music to accompany this has ranged from the 1976 Rush album "2112" to Ornette Coleman's "The Shape of Jazz to Come", via a recording of Dead Can Dance in Berlin from the 2005 tour. Looking through my PC directory, I am surprised to discover that I have digitised nearly 3,000 cds of music over the past couple of years - and it is only when I have a good look through the directories that I discover how little of it I know really well.

While the enormous availability of music is great, I do feel the loss that comes from not knowing music the way I used to when my choice was so much smaller.

And there is also the shock of listening to something like Rush and thinking that I used to actually like this sort of thing!

No comments: