Saturday 5 June 2010

Current 93

Every once in a while, the monthly music magazine, Wire, issues a free cds, the so-called Wire Tappers collection. Ages ago one of these featured a track by Current 93. I was aware of them from mid 1980s industrial music but was really surprised by the track on the fee cds. I bought one or two albums but hadn't really pursued this band in much detail, other than reading the occasional review or article in Wire.

But in the last couple of days I have been totally entranced by a recording of Current 93 in concert from London just a couple of weeks ago. Half a dozen tracks stand out - "Invocation of almost", "On Doetic Mountain", "Not because the fox barks", even "Sebastian's introduction" with its slowly repeating guitar and violin accompaniment.

This has led to me working out what the track was that so captivated me all those years ago - it was "Red Hawthorn Tree" from the cd "Sleep has its house". I have acquired loads of albums by them in the last few days - from the early industrial to what is apparently called "apocalyptic folk". Also tracked down a long interview with David Tibet from Wire. All excellent stuff, and which will form the focus of my post-exam listening

They also have lovely artwork om their cds!


A montage of cd covers - I have been looking for the cd with the red face on the blue background that I bought years ago. Can't find it anywhere at the moment.

No comments: