Sunday 27 June 2010

Collecting Emma's stuff from Cambridge for the last time

One of the great family rituals of the past few years ended today - the trip to and from Cambridge, either taking or bringing back. In the first year, Emma was in Angel Court, on the third floor but close to Great Gate for parking. Year Two she was in New Court, still high up, but also ok for parking. This last year she has been in Whewell Court, but only on the first floor. Overall, I prefer her to be lower down - but purely from a box-carrying perspective. All her rooms have been really good I think.

On some visits I have done around 40 trips up and down stairs carrying stuff - over 1000ft of vertical ascent. This last trip I have the luxury of a trolley but it still takes over an hour in the sweltering heat. It is also a tight squeeze to get everything in this last time.

Emma is then off for a long hair appointment before she and her friend Abby drive off to the evening's party. I spend a further 30 minutes in Cambridge before setting off. A brief look at the three courts in which Emma lived, a short walk down as far as Kings and round the market, and a brief look round Heffers. I wonder when we'll next visit Cambridge - I can't help thinking it will be some time away

My next such trip will be in October / November when Emma moves to London to start work - another major milestone.

No comments: