Sunday 7 September 2008

Loads of sources of new reading

The last few days I have been working my way through the Standford Encyclopedia of Philosophy - an online resource that was mentioned in a couple of introductory philosophy books I was reading a few weeks ago. On the one hand, there are quite a few articles that are directly relevant to my studies - especially linked to the Philosophy of Science module that I will be taking in my first year. So there are overviews of "The Problem of Induction", "Realism", "Interpretations of Probability", "Scientific explanation" etc.

But on the other hand, and perhaps more interestingly, there are loads of articles that aren't as directly relevant but are in areas that I feel it would be interesting to know more about. Aristotle's Logic, articles on many medieval philosophers, articles on some modern philosophers about which I know virtually nothing. And many aspects of philosophy that I know a little about but would like a refresh.

It has also occured to me that reading articles like this would be the best way to get something out of the long periods of commuting that I expect to have in the near future. As I know from previous years of doing it, the life of the long-distance commuter is pretty tough. If I can spend half the trip asleep and the other half reading philosophy articles and listening to music, that might make it bearable again.

So over 50 articles were printed off today (over 1,000 pages!) and they are neatly piled behind me ready to be picked up at short notice.

My main reading recently has been Paul Feyerabend's autobiography "Killing Time". I read this a few years ago and have really enjoyed it the second time. Are there any academic epistemological anarchists out there any more? From what I see of recent issues of academic journals, the short answer would seem to be "no"! In fact, logical empiricism would seem to have an even tighter grip that it has in the past - presumably because it is so suitable for people to keep churning articles out. I am not a great fan of this approach, prefering the more historical approach to P of S. Perhaps I should adopt the anarchist position during my course?

I read one article from my pile of printouts today - "The Problem of Induction". This seemed to rather get bogged down in discussions of various logical probability systems (Carnap and Reichenbach) and was not the clearest article I've ever read, but there was useful stuff in it. And it gave me one or two more books to add to my list of books to get out of LSE library as soon as I'm issued with a card that works (Sept 26th)

No comments: