Thursday 18 September 2008

Grant on Natural Philosophy

I have just about finished taking notes on Grant's History of Natural Philosophy. Overall, I have found this a rather eye-opening book, confirming the work of Duhem that I had only a slight knowledge of, that the pre-Scientific Revolution period was, itself, a period of extensive philosophical discussion.

The discussion of Islamic philosophy raised the question of why Natural Philosophy failed to develop there when they had most of the necessary resources. The account of the West during the twelve and thirteenth centuries was full of interesting material. As a result, I have started reading a biography of Peter Abelard - now there was a colourful character who had a colourful life!

The tomb of Abelard and Heloise in Paris

And I have been also struck by the discussion of Nicole Oresme - a thinker that I had barely heard of before. Lots of interesting material there (but few English translations of the originals it would seem) All this points to a strong tradition of criticism prior to the Scientific Revolution. Oresme, Buridan, etc are well worthy of further detailed studied it seems to me.

As I was finishing Grant's book, the two other books of his that I recently bought secondhand have appeared - God and Reason in the Middle Ages and The Foundations of Modern Science in the Middle Ages. First glance suggests that they are remarkably similar to the book I have just read - though they do vary considerably in length. Not sure yet what extra material I will get from these two additional books.

No comments: