Sunday 28 September 2008

Nicole Cooke & Mark Rothko

Highlight of Saturday was spending the afternoon reading and watching the women's cycling world championship road race. I have pretty much stopped cycling now - three or four years ago I managed to cycle over 2000 miles over the summer. But I got out of the habit - inevitably due to getting a cold or something, and haven't managed to get back "on the saddle".

But I have continued to follow some bits of professional cycling - like watching some of the Tour de France stage this summer. Today's race was superb. Nicole Cooke won the Olympic's road race in Beijing and so was a marked rider today, which usually doesn't help. And as the breaks started to come thick and fast towards the end, it looked like someone would manage a decisive break. But in the final few hundred metres Cooke was running well and managed a superbly-timed push for the line, taking the lead with only a couple of metres to go. It was grippingly exciting stuff I thought - a real highlight to watch.

Today's reading, by contrast, was more high brow - mainly the many reviews I have found of the Mark Rothko show that has just opened at the Tate Modern. I am trying to work out when a good time to see this might be - maybe during my first week of classes at LSE, when I am planning to be in London on perhaps three days a week. Can hardly wait to see this show.

No comments: