Saturday 27 September 2008

A student again

Off to London on Friday for my registration day at LSE. I am now officially a student again - possibly the oldest post-graduate student at LSE from the look of the other people registering today.

I also wanted to try out the library today and had a number of books in mind. The library at LSE has been completely rebuilt since I was there, although 3A is still a recognisable area (where I did all my study previously and could admire the lovely Ruth Thompson who also used to work in that area - wonder whatever happened to her?). Nowadays the electronic resources are enormous and the self-issuance of books was remarkable smooth and easy. So I now have five books to have a look at over the next week - my last before term starts. The main ones will probably be Howson's Hume's Problem - Induction and the Justification of Belief and Cartwright's The Dappled World. It is only just over a week till teaching starts and I still have a bit of time to do enough to make a good start.

Another thing I had planned to do today was to have lunch at the Brunch Bowl on the fourth floor of the Old Building but this seems to be being refurbished at the moment. That will definitely be a priority when term does start properly

And of course one aspect of being a student again is that I am now entitled to student discounts! For instance, on the coach from Oxford to London. The journey down today was a bit of a test of the timings to London. Lots of possible ways in. What didn't work well today were my attempts to doze on the coach - I need one of those inflatable neck braces that I used to have when I travelled to Hanson. Now that takes me back a bit.

Linda and Emma have gone away for the weekend to Camber Sands for a three day aerobics course, so I have the house to myself and plan to study as many hours as I can. First task is to copy the bits I want from Rhonda Marten's Kepler's Philosophy and the New Astronomy - another book that I feel I could have written.

No comments: