Tuesday 30 September 2008

Possible work developments, etc

One of the recruitment websites I am currently following has an interim position for a CFO at a hedge fund based in Mayfair. That could be just what I'd be best doing over the coming months and I have contacted the firm to make sure they consider me for it.

The current financial market chaos continues, as I suspect it will for some time - it is pretty much a perfect example of a Black Swan event. Taleb must be delighted in the sense of boosting sales of his books and boosting his standing as the leading intellectual of financial markets. I do feel pleased to be away from day to day market involvement. I suspect that were I to get a position back in the markets, it wouldn't feel as intense as it used to as it wouldn't be my own firm.

Linda and myself are doing ok at the moment, though mainly due to the steps we have taken over the years to immunise ourselves against recession and events like the current market conditions. We are cash positive at the moment and can manage afterall on very little income.

Over the last couple of days I have finished Howson's book on induction - it was very tough going in the second half as he sought to establish that Bayesianism was the logic of inductive reasoning. But not bad overall. A good thing to have read prior to my course starting (which is very soon now of course)

I have also been reading the first bit of Colin McGinn's The Making of a Philosopher - just enough to remind me why I am not that interested in what you would call mainstream Anglo-American analytical philosophy. I had hoped it would be more about the academic environment, maybe like the recent Daniel Dennett articles in Philosophy Now. Maybe Ted Honderich's book on this theme would be better.

No comments: