Monday 4 April 2011

Two hard sessions at the gym

Sunday

A 7:30 start at the gym. No food beforehand, so the chance of fatigue early, but actually things go very well. This week's target is 200 lengths of the pool across 4 visits. Today I planned to utilize the psychological trick of breaking the target down. 40 lengths would be fine, after whick I would work in blocks of 10, then 6, then 4 and see how far I could go. In the end, I managed the astounding figure of 80 lengths, a new record.

Moreover, I then followed that up with burning 500 calories in 30m 30s on the cross trainer. Far and away the best gym session since I restarted six weeks ago
Then, this afternoon, as Linda and Emma (back for Mother's day) shopped, I did a 90 min walk round Oxford (perhaps 4 to 5 miles). So even more exercise

Monday

The pool is closed from Wednesday for maintenance, so my 200 length target depended on doing 60 lengths today. For whatever reason, it didn't feel so good today and I was going really slowly by 40 lengths. But after a Snickers bar, I was then able to burn 750 calories on the cross trainer taking 47 mins, helped on by playing PJ Harvey on my ipod.

A possible second Lake District trip

There is a chance that I might be able to go camping for a couple of nights in the Lake District in a couple of weeks time. The current plan:

Thursday. Drive to Langdale. Carry kit to Stickle Tarn and set up camp. Ascend Pavey Ark by Jakes Rake and Harrison Stickle that evening.

Friday. Either descend to Dungeon Ghyll for breakfast and return to Stickle tran, or have breakfast at tarn. Break camp. Cross over to Sty head tarn for second night's camp. Sunset ascent of Great Gable.

Saturday. Cross to Esk Hause and Sprinkling tarn. Ascent of Bowfell and descent via the Band. Depart and home late afternoon So need to carry camping stuff plus food and drink for 3/4 meals. Hopefully less that 20kg pack. But a good test of how my fitness is progressing

Sprinkling Tarn - perhaps my favourite place in the Lake District - with Great Gable behind

No comments: