Monday 28 September 2009

Final "vacation" work & back listening to Boris

There are just a few days left now before the start of the new term. This time last year I had just had a similar 6 weeks to the current year, where I could study more or less uninterrupted and without a weekly timetable to required reading, seminar preparations, etc. It is so good having such periods - they are the periods when I clearly get the most done and develop things in the most productive manner. I have learnt so much over the past year, it is quite amazing. The past few weeks have gone very well I think. I have been mostly working on Kepler for history of science, plus some little bits of reading for philosophy of economics and a few diversions into areas like translation studies, biography and so on.

It occurs to me that this type of work is not dissimilar to the pattern I would probably have if I was doing a PhD. I don't really know how often PhD students attend college, though the LSE ones seem to be there quite a few days a week, beavering away in their cubicles on the ground floor of the philosophy building. I envisage something much less regimented, but perhaps I am out of date with current requirements. I would rather hope not. Clearly I need to find out more about this aspect of PhDs.

I am slowly developing a proposal and getting more ideas about how to go through the application process. As with the MSc, I seem to be taking the view that I am not a great candidate, but more reflection does suggest that I really ought to be acceptable. But I will continue to work hard on this process over the next couple of months. Who knows, by Christmas I might have been accepetd onto a PhD course - wouldn't that be great?

After three months off, I have returned to the music of Boris, mainly focused on the "Rainbow" album and, of course, "Feedbacker". After the time away, it is like a breath of frech air to hear them again.


More pixs of Wata from Boris - having a female guitarist making so much noise is so cool I think

No comments: