Tuesday 22 September 2009

A more productive day as time runs out before term starts

Some prioritizing has become necessary as it is now barely two weeks till term starts (and only a week and a half before my two Oxford Uni courses begin). A small reading list for the next two weeks has been created, a list of those things that I want to write notes on, and whole stakes of admin-type things.

Today, the post tray is cleared, our company's accounts and tax return have been finished and posted off, new car tax has been bought, some strange VAT correspondence from years ago cleared, our number 2 phone line has been cancelled and we have moved to a lower tariff on our remaining line, notes have been taken from one article and progress made on my comet piece, a bit of work on Philosophy of Economics started, the laptop has a maintenance day and is working much better as a result. And so on. Not very interesting in their own right, but a strange sense of satisfaction as items are completed. But the current list of such things remains pretty long.

A bit of afternoon web surfing reveals that Lisa Gerrard is currently playing some shows in Europe with Klaus Schulze. Sadly it does not seem that they are coming to the U.K. However, searching a concert ticket site does reveal that Les Claypool is playing a show in London next March. He has been one of my favorite artists over the past three or four years, though I have to admit that I am less keen on the current material, especially now that ace, Japanese sitar-player Gabby La La is no longer in his band. I am very tempted by seeing this show - my first concert for a year or so. Also discovered that Throwing Muses have done some shows this year. The 2005 show I saw by them was one of my favourites.

For the first time in a few years I watched an episode of Inspector Morse. It turns out there are about 6 episodes of this that I haven't seen. I had forgotten how good they could be. Tonight was called "Fat Chance", a series 5 episode with lots of college-related stuff in it. Watching this does boost my motivation to study in Oxford at some point going forward.

Linda has caught a cold to add to the various other things, so I will be trying to stay up late to let her get to sleep before me.

1 comment:

M Ahmed said...

Thank you for taking the time to provide us valuable information.
VAT Compliance and Filing in UAE