Monday 21 May 2012

A new video - my first using Adobe Premiere

Daughter bought me a copy of Adobe Photoshop 10 for Christmas and selected the bundle of this with a programme I hadn't heard of, Adobe Premiere Elements, a movie editing programme.  My first couple of Youtube videos were edited with the extremely basic programme that comes free with Windows.  As I've used this, I have occasionally run up against issues that I assumed a better programme would cover.  So I have spent the last couple of days free time working through some tutorials on Premiere and have produced my first movie using this.

My aim was to get used to a far faster cutting style like the fishing programmes I have been watching.  I also wanted to control the associated audio better.  My first attempt to use the programme was based on producing something like a 1920s silent movie.  I watched Harold Lloyd's classic, Safety Last (1923), the other day and sampled some music from it.  I also found an image file of the sort of card that silent movies used for dialogue and a soundtrack of an old super 8 projector.  My aim was not to make an actual film of course, just to learn the various features of the programme by combining various soundtracks, title pages etc.  And this went surprisingly well, with a much greater degree of overall control than I've had before.


One of early cinema's most famous shots - Harold Lloyd in Safety Last

The actual video project that I have produced subsequently and put on Youtube was made up from some of the shots I took in late March/early April of the Upper Thames when the river was very low which I combined with the recent footage I have of the river in flood.  I also included the film of chub taking floating crust despite the flood.  The film only lasts about 6 mins but does contain over 50 seperate shots.  I was even able to line up the selected music so that it went slightly quieter at exactly the point when the first chub was about to take the crust!

So video number 3 is now out there http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GwW4gAe6SSc  

No comments: