Monday 20 June 2011

Current reading

Perhaps rather ambitiously, considering the intensity of my current work, I have just started one of the books Emma bought me for my birthday - Francois Dosse's Gilles Deleuze and Felix Guattari: Intersecting Lives. The very little knowledge of Gilles Deleuze that I have was picked up from the article on the Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy and his book on Spinoza which i read a few years ago. So far, the introduction alone, which seems to assume at least some familiarity with thier work, has been really tough going, but I am through it now and into the biography proper - maybe this will be a bit clearer?


My other reading is slightly work related - Andrew Ross Sorkin's Too Big to fail, apparently the "definitive" account of the "battle to save Wall Street". It is now about 10 years since I left Imperial Tobacco and the world of corporates does seem a long way away. Certainly I don't feel a close affinity to the executives involved in the book.

I do feel a bit sorry for Erin Callen, the CFO of Lehman's in the run up to its collapse. She did seem rather out of her depth.

I only mention her specifically because I think it might be the only time that a picture of her is ever used in a blog entry along side a picture of Deleuze and Guattari.


No comments: