Tuesday 25 April 2017

Robert Pirsig RIP

I first read Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance when I was about 14.  That is a very impressionable age to come across something like ZAMM.  I remember I read it through twice one after the other, something I don't think I have ever done with any other book.

I have often wondered if this was the book that caused me to study philosophy at University.  Possibly, but it may also have been Lisa Alther's Kinflicks that did that.  Whatever.  . . .

Robert Pirsig passed away a few days ago.  And to have written something like ZAMM is to have achieved an immense thing. 

I have four books that I read at the rate of one a year in rotation.  2017 was a year to read The Dharma Bums, and next year was supposed to be The Snow Leopard, before reading ZAMM in 2019.  But maybe a re-order is called for.



No comments: