Friday 16 January 2009

A few days of concentrated work planned

For the next few days - Friday to Tuesday - I have a concentrated period of work planned. Linda is out Friday evening and all day Saturday, and I am not planning to go to LSE on Tuesday next week. So how best to make use of the time? I am still working to bibliography study methods, but am clearly not actually writing enough. So I do need to get some more done. And it is still too early to be doing essay plans (March to May)

I have acquired several piles on journal articles on my study floor. Pile one is unread - currently about 2 ft high. Pile 2 is read and has underlining and notes on it. This pile is currently about 6 inches high. A subset of this pile is Pile 3, located on my desk rather than the floor. This consists of read articles that I will be taking notes on next. Then Pile 4 is those articles that have been read and had notes taken on them. This is the working bibliography as it were.

But I keep being distracted by new artiucles and the piles aren't always organised very well. It also shows how much I have outstanding to be taking notes from. But usually this ends up showing me loads of new articles I could review and before I know it, Pile 1 is a foot higher.

I ordered Hart's Doing a Literature Review a few days ago and this arrived today. Lots of practical advice on precisely the issues I have been having i.e. how to manage the referencing and stroage of articles, and so on.

No comments: