Sunday 19 July 2009

Immersion in the Reformation

For eight to ten hours a day I am currently immersed in reading about the Reformation. Derek Wilson's biography of Luther, Out of the Storm, Manschreck's Melanchthon from 1953, Diarmaid MacCulloch's huge work, Reformation, from a couple of years ago, Mandrou's From Humanism to Science 1480-1700 and The Cambridge History of Renaissance Philosophy. Rarely have I been so immersed in one subject.

Setting the scene for the sequence: Luther to Melanchthon to Wittenberg to Tubingen to Kepler

Also thinking about travelling to see the many places where these scenes occur - something that I understand many biographers do - I have seen it described as "optical research". Maybe something I could look at doing in November when I am pondering on going to Linz to see the premier of Philip Glass's opera, Kepler

A quick internet search throws up some nice pictures

Martin Luther

Philip Melanchthon - reformer of German universities in the Reformation

Lutherstrasse, Wittenberg

Tubingen University

My hero - Johannes Kepler

No comments: